Friday, September 25, 2009

Beware of Flying Chickens(09/24/09)

I woke up this morning and I didn't really feel that great. A lot of people were not feeling well and I had been trying so hard to keep healthy and prevent myself from getting sick, but sadly I wasn't 100% successful. I was all congested and my sinus' were hurting so I decided to take the day off from the Yeshiva and take it easy. So I went back to my room and slept and took more medicine and slept for a majority of the morning and afternoon. When I finally woke up for lunch I went downstairs and had soup for lunch and then went back to bed until everyone was back from Hebrew U taking the Jerusalem Class final and everyone was done at the Yeshiva.

Around 4:45ish all of Nativ met in the main lobby to go towards the shuk for the ancient and pagan custom of Kapparot.
I must put a cautionary note on this section because what I am about to describe is somewhat graphic and not suitable for children and woman who are pregnant. Also if you are a vegetarian, I apologize in advance. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVICED!!!!


Kapparot is an ancient custom that the Jewish people do to rid themselves of sins before Yom Kippur. In my family it consists of swinging money over our heads during the meal before Kol Nidre, but to some Jewish people it is common to use a chicken and swing it over your head. So I did just that. We all went to the shuk and five of us bought a chicken for 10 sheckles each and began to swing the chicken over our head while reciting some prayers. It was one of the most interesting things I have ever done. I have always wanted to do it, but I had never gotten around to doing it in Kansas City. PETA would definitely have issues with this whole ceremony. After we swung the chickens over our head we took it to the Shochet,the ritual slaughter, who would basically bend the neck of the chicken and slit its throat in a way that would be least painful to the chicken and then threw and I mean threw the chicken into a container for the blood to seep out. After they were dead for a few minutes they would send them across the room to two people who would clean them by taking the feathers off and doing all the necessary things to get them ready to give to people who can't afford chickens for meals. It was a once in a lifetime experience, and I think I am going to stick with money from now on.

After Kapparot we headed back to Beit Nativ for dinner. We were all placing bets on us having chicken for dinner, but instead we had beef kabobs and turkey, shucks... After dinner we all hung out for a little bit and then about 18 people headed to Gan HaPaamon to play basketball for fun. It was a great workout and a great game we had going and I can't wait until we start the NBA, Nativ Basketball Association in a few weeks.

After basketball I came back to the room to get showered, check email and head to bed early cause I was going to be getting up at 4am for the old city Selichot tour.

That will do it for today. And now for those of you who are not animal activists or not vegetarians.




No comments: