Thursday, September 10, 2009

The End of a Good Week of School (09/10/09)

Today was the end of the first week of classes. I really enjoyed all the classes I have taken. Today I had the opportunity to begin my last two classes. The first one is a Shiur/Lecture for all the students of the Conservative Yeshiva led by the Rosh Yeshiva Reb Shmuel. It was an incredible lecture about the Kingship of God through Creation leading up to Rosh Hashanah. That lecture happens once a week and I am excited for those to turn out. The second class was just for the Yeshiva students on Nativ. This class is Contemporary Issues in Halacha/Law with Reb Shlomo. He has the soothing voice of an angle, one whose voice I wouldn't mind listening to all day. It will be a great class, just today wasn't the best leading off discussion.

After my morning and afternoon at the Yeshiva, I went with a friend to the old city to buy a book that we both were going to need for classes for the rest of the semester. We then hung out at Beit Nativ until a few of us ran and got dinner before the all Nativ program tonight. Tonight's program was a program for 9/11. We watched United 93 and everyone was blown away because of the movie and a powerful speech that Yossi, the Director of Nativ, gave before and after to bring it all home. It was a perfect segway into the weekend as well as into the time for the Holidays and Selichot on Saturday night.

This weekend I am going to Ein Gedi for the Conservative Yeshiva Shabbaton. We are leaving bright and early on Friday morning and we will be driving to Ein Gedi to do a hike, play some games, swim at Ein Gedi as well as the Dead Sea and then off to the Youth Hostel for the Shabbaton. We will be back in Jerusalem Saturday night for Selichot, the repentance prayers said one week prior to Rosh Hashanah.

It is hard to imagine that next week is Rosh Hashanah and it is the first time in 18 years that I will not be spending the Holidays with my family. That is going to be the biggest adjustment for me, however I am excited for what will come.

Shabbat Shalom m'Yerushaliyim.
Shabbat Shalom from Jerusalem!!!
-DBH

No comments: