Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Just Another Day in J-Town (09/16/09)

Well today was just another day at the office. Early morning minyan and then off to the Yeshiva for four hours of Talmud followed by lunch. Lunch today was a slight bit different. We had a all Nativ Yeshiva meeting with my Talmud teacher, Dr. Josh Kulp who acts as the head adviser for the Nativers. We were all then given a different sub adviser to go to for problems. I got really lucky and got an amazing adviser who not only knows me, knows my brother and my Zaddy, Reb Shlomo. He is a great guy who I will be able to talk to and have as a great resource.

After lunch I had a break for about an hour and a half so I did some work as usual and listened to music. After my break I had Poskim 2 which is basically in depth study of commentators of Halacha. During my class, I had my interview for MADA, Magen David Adom also known as the Israeli Red Cross. My goal for the second semester of Nativ is to be a volunteer paramedic in the south of Israel in Yerucham. It is new this year for us that you can do volunteering in Jerusalem during the first semester. The interview went very well and it was conducted in both Hebrew and English. I am not sure when I hear back from them about it, but I assume its within the next week cause the training course starts the first week of October.

Today I also finialzed my plans for Rosh Hashanah. I am going to be davening with Nativ the first night and going to Mayanot for shul on Saturday morning, which is about a 45-50 minute walk from me. I am also being hosted for lunch by a family near that shul with my friend Seth which is going to be really fun. I am also excited for that meal cause it is going to be my first time buying a bottle of wine and bringing it to a home for a gift. I will probably daven Mincha and Maariv at Moreshet Yisrael right next door to Beit Nativ. On Sunday for the second day I will most likely be going to a shul called Kedem on Emek Refaim. After that I will be going to lunch at my Tanach teacher, Vered's house, as well as some of my classmates in her class. I will once again probably daven Mincha and end Rosh Hashanah at Moreshet Yisrael. I am excited for the Chagim but at the same time it will be very weird not being with my family at shul at home and not leading Junior Congregation services. I can't wait for the Chagim.

Tonight for dinner, Judah and I went and met Rabbi Paul and Nina Freedman for dinner. They are such a cute and sweet couple who are so hospitiable it is amazing. We ate dinner at Cafe Joe and sat and schmoozed for a while and caught up. It was a great chance to be with them and hopefully we can do this more often.

After dinner we had an all boys Yerucham night where we discussed several key issues that would be considered Lo Matim/no appropriate to say on the blog. It was a good conversation that needed to take place and was especially important given the time of year we are in.

Today was a pretty good day in the life in J-Town. Stayed for tomorrow post as well as the first of many Drashot/Commetaries on something Jewish.

חלומחת פז/Sweet Dreams!

No comments: